If you have suffered an injury in a public place as a result of the fault of another party where that party owed you a duty of care them you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

In what circumstances can a public liability claim be made?

The range of circumstances where a person might have a claim for compensation is very wide and includes the following examples:

  • Institutional abuse claims
  • Slips, trips and falls in supermarkets and other retail outlets
  • Playground and schoolyard accidents
  • Injuries sustained during sporting and recreational activities
  • Dog attacks
  • Physical assaults
  • Accidents in residential properties

If you have been injured you should contact our office on (03) 8658-0040 – one of our experienced lawyers will be happy to discuss your matter with you to see if you may be able to claim compensation.

What type of things can I claim public liability compensation for?

This will depend upon your individual circumstances however if you have a public liability claim, you may receive compensation for the following:

  • The ‘reasonable’ cost of past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future loss of earnings
  • Home help and attendance care
  • Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life 

How long do I have to make a claim for compensation?

Generally, you have 3 years from the date of your injury to commence legal proceedings. An extension of time can be granted in exceptional circumstances however it is important you seek legal advice as soon as possible to protect any claim you may be able to make.

Contact our office today for your free initial appointment.

Book Your Free Consultation

Call our office on (03) 8658-0040 to book your free initial consultation now with one of our public liability claim lawyers, or book in a time which suits to discuss your matter using our online calendar: