However, if a dispute can’t be avoided, our lawyers can also help you and try to make your experience as stress-free as possible, including preparing your matter for court and litigating your matter where necessary.
“I highly recommend Johnstone and Reimer lawyers. They walked me through the whole process with compassion and great knowledge of family law. What was a very emotional and confronting time turned out to be a lot less scary with their help. Can’t praise them enough.”
N.D., Lilydale Victoria
When a couple separate, it needs to be resolved who takes what. Each party to the relationship contributed in different ways; whether that was through a high earning job, looking after children, or managing the family business. At the end of the relationship these contributions (and many other factors including the future needs of the parties) are examined to determine how to split up the couple’s assets.
It is important to get legal advice as soon as possible following a separation, as strict time limits apply to making a property division. Generally the time limits are one year following a divorce or two years following separation for de facto couples.
I just wanted to thank you both so much for all your help, support and understanding over the past 6 months. I truly appreciate the effort you both went to to finally make settlement occur.
L.W., Yarra Glen Victoria
If there are children of the relationship the separation can become even more stressful and painful. Sorting out arrangements surrounding the care and upbringing of the children is an often difficult process – however we can assist in removing the stress and tension out of this situation.
We can assist in obtaining parenting orders which will set out the obligations of each parent in relation to your children. Importantly, we’ll be the ones interacting with the other side – we find it is often very helpful to have us act as an ‘insulator’ between parties where the situation is acrimonious.
We can also assist with urgent recovery orders or contravention applications if the other parent is not cooperating. Our goal, however, is always to resolve matters with as little strife or friction as possible; at the end of the day the your children’s needs come first and we will help you to do what’s necessary to have them properly cared for.
Thank you so much for everything you have been incredible and very thorough. I’m so happy that [my son] will have a chance to have the best decisions in his life from now on and it wouldn’t of happened without you guys.
Your Free Consultation
Here’s what we’ll do during your first free consultation:
- Most importantly we’ll get to know each other. Family law is a difficult and often highly emotive and personal area; you have to be able to trust the person who will be taking care of your matter, and you can only do that after getting to know us.
- Then, we’ll discuss the timeline of your relationship, including when you got together, details of jobs and children, etc, and separation.
- If you have children we’ll have a chat about them – what are your goals in relation to how they should be raised?
- We’ll identify the major property assets owned by both of you, and the potential issues which may arise.
- Of course we’ll seek to answer any questions you may have about how the process works and do our best to make everything as clear as possible.
- Finally, we’ll provide you with an up front and honest overview of what our costs will be in assisting you, so there are no nasty surprises down the track.
Dear Alex and Nicole, a huge thankyou to both of you! Without you both navigating my way through the legal minefield that is family law I would have been lost.
Thank you on so many levels. It has been a rollercoaster ride and I am extremely grateful for your guidance, patience and for keeping me grounded. As of tomorrow the future holds in its hands for me a big question mark, and that is exciting. The freedom that I feel already being out of the house, my kids feel it too and it has been welcomed with open arms!
N.C., Lilydale VIC
Book Your Free Consultation
Call our office on (03) 8658-0040 to book your free initial consultation now with one of our family lawyers, or book in a time which suits using our online calendar: